With the long days of Summer behind us, and the crispy chill of Winter finally upon us, it’s time to start loading up on indoor entertainment inspiration. Winter provides us with endless opportunities to cozy up and enjoy the comforts of home and quiet. Embrace the peaceful season by slowing down, kicking back and channeling your inner movie buff.
Make a date with yourself and any one of your favorite loved ones, pop up some warm popcorn and catch up on any one or more of the best movies from 2013. If you need a list to get you started, you've come to the right place. I searched high and low to pick out the 10 Must See Movies of 2013. If you want expanded information, more selections and variety, I love IMDb's "Most Popular" List. I also thought that Quentin Tarantino made some interesting selections of his own in Variety Magazine, and a list of his favorites can be found here. Whatever you do, don’t let the weather outside stop your thirst for fun and entertainment. Cuddle up and check these out, instead!
10 Must See Movies of 2013
- Gravity: Starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this sci-fi thriller revolves an outer space mission gone awry.
- Captain Phillips: Starring Tom Hanks, this movie tells the true story of the 2009 hijacking of the US MV Maersk Alabama ship by Somali pirates.
- The Counselor: Starring Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz and Michael Fassbender, this crime drama revolves around a lawyer’s consequences as he chooses to get involved in drug trafficking.
- 12 Years a Slave: Starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Steve McQueen, this movie tells the story of a free black man living in antebellum United States, who is abducted and sold into slavery.
- This is the End: Starring Seth Rogen, James Franco and Jonah Hill, this comedy bands together a hilarious cast encountering the apocalypse, all while barricaded inside Hollywood celebrity James Franco’s house in LA.
- We’re the Millers: Starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis, this comedy is filled with laughs, detailing the antics of a veteran drug dealer attempting to move his product to the US by way of his fake family, The Millers.
- Before Midnight: Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, this movie continues the story of Jesse and Celine from Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, as they discuss and discover new aspects of their relationship one decade after it began.
- The Bling Ring: Inspired by actual events, this drama, directed by Sofia Coppola, details the robbery of several famous celebrity homes by fame-hungry and celebrity-obsessed local teens.
- Lovelace: Starring Amada Seyfried and James Franco, this movie tells the life story of Linda Lovelace, one of the United States’ porn industries earliest and biggest stars.
- Dallas Buyer’s Club: Starring Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner and Jared Leto, this drama tells the story of Ron Woodroof, a Texas-based electrician who chooses to battle the medical and pharmaceutical industry following his 1986 HIV positive diagnosis.