Spring has sprung (at last!) in Coastal Virginia. Longer days, daffodils in bloom and the sound of birds chirping in the early morning all mean that it’s finally time to GET OUTSIDE, and enjoy our community and neighborhood again. Take your workout outside, choose to dine al fresco and open up those big, bright windows and breathe in the fresh air of a new season.
Now is just the right time to unearth your sun hats, flip flops and shorts, gather your friends and neighbors together and head out in the direction of one of many local, outdoor spring festivals. From wine to art to Greek food and even pirates, our region knows how to get festive and celebrate just about everything.
Every year at this time, we poll our friends, scour the paper and internet and work hard to make a list of our favorite outdoor festivals. We're happy to say we've found 5 festivals that we think will satisfy just about everyone in your family or circle.
Don't let this season of sunshine and blooming possibility pass you by! Experience the best of your city from the outside, and welcome in the warm weather with one of these awesome, local festivals...
- Annual Spring Town Point Virginia Wine Festival. Sample the region's finest wines along the Elizabeth River in Downtown Norfolk's gorgeous Town Point Park. Experience unique wines from across the state of Virginia with your friends by renting a chalet or table, or on a picnic on the lawn. You can't lose.
- Newport News Greek Festival. Head over to the grounds of Saint Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church in Newport News for this delicious celebration of all things Greek. From food and beverages to music, dance and arts and crafts, this event is sure to delight your senses.
- James Riverfest. This annual event held inside Williamsburg's Eco Discovery Park features water activities, arts and crafts, live music, food and beverages, kayaking and boat tours. Just do it!
- Blackbeard Pirate Festival. This unique and hilarious celebration of Hampton's most notorious local legend and menace, Blackbeard, includes fireworks, live entertainment, children's activities and more.
- Stockley Gardens Arts Festival. Stroll Norfolk's historic Stockley Gardens park while viewing fine art from across the country. Enjoy performances from your favorite local musicians, activities for kids and an artists' reception during this two day festival that is not to be missed.
Photo | Pull Over and Let Me Out