October in Coastal Virginia is a beautiful time of year, featuring gorgeous, changing foliage and comfortable, cool temperatures that beckon us to get out and enjoy the season. October means Harvest Festivals, pumpkin picking and our favorite excuse to don a costume: Halloween!
Whether you're into dressing up, or prefer to watch costumes from the sidelines at a local parade, you've got options all over town this Halloween. From local laser shows to festive, Halloween cruises on the river, there's bound to be a Halloween event around town to suit your fancy.
We've chosen 7 festive, local events to top our list of favorite ways to spend this spookiest night of the season. Grab a neighbor, a coworker or your family, and head out for parades, ghost tours and a night at the Virginia Living Museum you'll never forget. With so many places to be and things to do, we're sure this Halloween will remind you that you live in the best community around!
Get into the season, and head out for any one of these 7 Halloween events:
- Ghent Masquerade (Norfolk). Head to Norfolk's Ghent neighborhood for the largest Halloween block party and costume contest parade this October 24th. With live music, refreshments for adults and kids and cash prizes, we're confident this event will be a perfect way to spend the night!
- James River Plantation Progressive Ghost and Spirit Tour (Williamsburg). Every Saturday between now and Halloween weekend, head to James River Plantation for a ghost tour featuring local, historical landmarks and legends dating back four centuries.
- Halloween Weekends at Williamsburg KOA Campground (Williamsburg). Every weekend between now and Halloween, head to Williamsburg's KOA Campground for pumpkin picking, apple bobbing, cornhole, hayrides, trick or treating and more. It's sure to be fun for the whole family, or for you and your friends!
- Fright Light Laser Show (Newport News). Visit the Virginia Living Museum's Abbitt Planetarium on October 18th or 25th for a spooky, Friday night light show to the tunes of The Who, Black Sabbath and more! It's bound to be a truly original experience.
- Night of the Living Museum at the Virginia Living Museum (Newport News). For the 15th year, enjoy this relaxed, and not-so-scary event at the Virginia Living Museum. Featuring live animals, pumpkin carving, crafts, games, trick or treating and a nighttime walk along the boardwalk at this family friendly event on October 18th.
- Annual Halloween Bash (Hampton). Bring your entire family to the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton on October 25th for safe trick or treating, costume contests and a haunted house. We think this is a wonderful way to enjoy one of our favorite local museums, and love the family friendly vibe.
- Pirates, Monsters and Mermaids Halloween Cruise (Norfolk). Set sail on the Spirit of Norfolk for an entertaining, Halloween inspired lunch cruise, suitable for the whole family. Gorgeous river views will compete for your attention during a hilarious costume parade. This event takes place on one day only, Sunday, October 26th.