The dog days of Summer are upon us at last, and those hot and steamy, coastal Virginia days and nights are here to stay. You may be seeking refuge from the heat indoors, and looking for ways to revive your home and bring in new energy. Midseason re-decorating and organizing can help to freshen up your home and create space and order in those cluttered corners "you've been meaning to get to (we've all got our spots)."
Whether you've recently moved in, or are a longtime resident who knows your space inside and out, we've found excellent tips to help you invigorate your home from the inside out. You won't need a hefty budget or an interior decorater to make these easy, fast changes. With fresh air, brighter lights, a few new accessories, attention to hidden treasures, some love and a little elbow grease, you'll turn your home back into the stylish, comfortable and cozy space you prefer.
Take note of these 10 tips for freshening up your home, and revamp your home before you know it. Cheers!
- Freshen your scents. Begin by working with your senses, and bring fresh smells and aromas into your home. Grab lightly scented candles that help you to feel relaxed, and bring home a few sets of fresh cut flowers to leave in each room of your home.
- Switch up artwork. Rotate your artwork, photos and prints to bring a new perspective to your home decor. Bring that beautiful piece you've had in your bedroom into your living room, and vice versa.
- Swap out light bulbs. Old, dim light bulbs will dampen any mood, so toss out those 60 watts from last season, and switch to three way lights or 75 watt and up. Your home will instantly become brighter, sunnier and more lively.
- Revamp your accessories. If you happen to have a small budget to work with, mixing up your accessories can make a huge difference in appearance. Grab new, colorful throw pillows and blankets, replace outdated frames and pick up a few seasonal kitchen and bath towels.
- Brighten up your bedroom. Again, if your budget allows it, pick up a simple, fresh new pair of cool, cottony sheets, and consider a new duvet cover or ilght, summer quilt and bright accent pillows to complete the set.
- Rearrange furniture. Rotate your couches and chairs to face a new direction, turn your bed toward your brightest window. Move furniture into new positions that help create added flow and have your home feeling entirely new.
- Tackle that closet/shelf/cabinet. You know the one we're talking about. That spot you've been throwing loose items into when you're tight on time, and just need to clear the area? That one. Tackle it, and take your clutter down a few notches. You'll find yourself breathing easier immediately.
- Just clean. When push comes to shove, if you want to bring freshness back into your home, you simply need to put your elbows into it and get it shiny and new. If you've been putting off scrubbing your floors or giving your carpets or furniture a healthy shampoo, now might be the time to dive in. A clean home is a happy home, after all.
- Bring in the new. If you're on a tight budget, or almost no budget at all, head to the thrift store, look for used furniture online or visit a nearby yard sale, and be on the lookout for a new piece of furniture or decor to spice up your space. Whether it's a small side table or a new to you wall hanging, it will help to shift the energy in your home.
- Add in a little green. Pick up a few small or medium sized plants that will work well with the light in your home, and bring the outside, inside! Plants help to clean the air indoors and add texture, color and life to your home.