Everything about Fall makes it one of our favorite seasons in southeastern Virginia. From radiant and colorful foliage to brisk evenings outside with cups of warm cider or hot cocoa, this season seems to have perfected the art of charming our senses.
When the seasons change, so do our tastes. After spending several months enjoying cool, refreshing salads and lighter dishes prepared on our grills, we're ready to break out our slow cookers, fire up our ovens and bring hearty flavors back into our weekly menus.
Autumn root vegetables are in prime season and roast up well with chicken thighs, inside pot pies or tossed into a solid pot of stew. Pumpkin flavors, butternut squash and comfort food are all back in style, and we couldn't be more excited.
We've chosen 10 of our favorite fall recipes to help inspire you to dive into a new culinary season with gusto. Prepare to be won over by the sweet, the savory and the perfect combination of the two. Cheers!
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Sweet Apple Cider Syrup. Start a lazy weekend morning with these light, fluffy pancakes, and wow your tastebuds with your favorite seasonal flavors.
- Butternut Pudding. This easy to make dessert is an excellent choice for those avoiding gluten, or for those simply wanting to play with their autumn bounty of ripe, butternut squash.
- Roasted Chicken and Cauliflower. There's something about the cooler air that has us wanted to roast everything in sight. This hearty, savory dish satisfies our need perfectly.
- Slow Cooker Texas Chili. Football season is ON, and that means breaking out those preferred chili recipes and warming up during the game. This recipe is a guaranteed winner and crowd pleaser.
- Baked Mac & Cheese. When it's rich, comfort food you're craving, a solid mac & cheese recipe hits the spot every time. This healthy, baked version is nourishing, full of flavor and sure to fill you up on cool, autumn nights.
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew. Spend a weekend afternoon outside while delicious root vegetables and savory chicken thighs cook away inside your slow cooker.
- Perfect Sweet Potato Casserole. Crunchy, buttery pecans and sweet, gooey sweet potato merge in this classic dish that will win over the crowd at your upcoming family or holiday gathering.
- Meatloaf Sliders. This fun recipe is another great choice for game day and is easy to make and packed with flavor.
- Autumn Apple Salad with Pomegranate. For those still looking to incorporate fresh, raw fruits and vegetables into their diet, this light but satisfying salad incorporates some of the finest flavors of the season.
- Turkey Pot Pies. These piping hot pot pies will fill your home with the smells of the season, and will make a perfect main course for dinner or side dish at a family gathering or potluck.