Don't let chilly temperatures and unpredictable weather convince you that you're better off stuck at home this winter. In fact, when you live in Coastal Virginia, you've got abundant options for getting out, socializing and freshening up your perspective, all year long.
You don't have to be a snow bunny or a cold-weather enthusiast to make the most of the winter season, but you do have to be willing to bundle up appropriately and head out on the town to try something new.
Winter is the perfect season to finally sign up for that local writing or cooking class you've been talking about. When it's gray and nippy, local museums and performance halls become ideal places to seek refuge and get inspired. If you're less interested in getting cultural, and more interested in meeting new people and sampling local wines or brews, all you have to do is find yourself a designated driver and point the GPS in the direction of a local brewery or stunning winery. On days when weather permits, don your mittens, hat and gloves and lace up your ice skates for outdoor exercise and family fun at Liberty's Ice Pavilion. When in doubt, stay warm in sweats, and head straight for a matinee performance and snacks at your nearby, cozy (and luxurious) Cinebistro.
Getting around town isn't a seasonal sport, after all. You've got all year to experience your vibrant community at its best, so hop to it!
- Liberty's Ice Pavilion (Williamsburg): On Duke of Glouceseter Street in Williamsburg, celebrate the winter season on ice with family and friends. Enjoy hot refreshments and a beautiful ice skating rink 7 days a week, through the end of February.
- St. George Brewing Company (Hampton): Grab a friend (or two!) and head over to nearby St. George Brewing Company for their award winning ales and lagers that'll warm you up from the inside out. Their friendly staff offer tours of the brewery, so learn while you sip!
- Chrysler Museum (Norfolk): Since the Chrysler Museum's renovation completed over a year ago, it has featured some of the most compelling exhibits in the region. Get inspired by spending an afternoon with beautiful artwork that we're fortunate to have right around the corner. Bonus tip: It's free!
- Performances at the American Theater (Hampton): From live music to musical theater, film and more, you'll be riveted by spectacular and diverse performances at the charming American Theater.
- Live Music at Ferguson Center (Newport News): Incredible musical performances merge with impeccable acoustics in this stunning performance hall in Newport News.
- Art Classes (Norfolk): Learn to blow glass, kilncast and sandcast (wow!) at one of the Chrysler Glass Studio's regular classes or workshops. Use your hands to create actual artwork and leave amazed and impressed by your own creativity.
- Wine Club at Williamsburg Winery (Williamsburg): Share your love of wine with like-minded locals and join the Wine Club at the Williamsburg Winery. Sip, sample, learn and make friends, all the while!
- Cooking Classes (Norfolk): Give your culinary skills a boost and enjoy Casual Gourmet cooking classes at the nearby Culinary Institute. Whether you're looking for inspiration, fresh tips or a basic primer, you'll find what you're looking for (and you'll have fun while doing it!).
- Movies and More at Cinebistro (Newport News): Warm up cold evenings and lazy sunday afternoons with a movie at your nearby Cinebistro, and enjoy warm popcorn, tasty libations and a delicious, full menu of your favorite foods.
- Writing Classes (Norfolk): Revive your creative spirit and finally put those brilliant thoughts on paper by signing up for a writing class at a nearby Creative Writing Studio. From memoir writing to fiction, sketch comedy and more, you've got many ways to express yourself in writing this season.