It's almost pool season and beach season in Coastal Virginia, and that means you may find yourself spending more time outdoors, dipping in the deep end, grilling out by the clubhouse or basking in the warm glow of the sun on your patio. Enjoying fresh air and soaking up Vitamin D are good for your health and your mood, but UV rays from the sun aren't so great for your skin.
Before you break out a full body bathing suit and head out in search of an umbrella-sized beach hat, remember that modern sunscreens are formulated to provide powerful protection that won't harm sensitive skin (it's real!).
You've only got one set of skin, and since it's your body's largest organ, you'll want to do everything you can to care for it and protect it. Aside from hiding indoors, or dressing in full body coverage, sunscreen is the easiest and fastest way to protect your skin from the sun.
If you have sensitive skin, trying out new products can cause breakouts, rashes and painful irritation. But, there is hope, and it comes in the form of natural, safe sunscreens designed to be as gentle as they are effective. We did a little digging and came up with a list of 10 sunscreens that are created especially for sensitive skin.
You'll want to make sure to apply regularly and often throughout the day, especially when sweating or going in and out of water. As always, consult your doctor before you make any changes to your skin care or healthcare regime.
- True Natural Neutral Sunscreen. 100% mineral-based and free of harmful chemicals, True Natural sunscreen has received the highest rating from the Environmental Work Group, an organization that researches and reports on safe and non-toxic skin products. Safe enough for you and your baby, these products are organic and all natural.
- Coppertone Sensitive Skin Faces Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50. Hypoallergenic, fragrance free and free of dyes, oils and alcohols, this gentle sunscreen was perfectly designed for the sensitive skin on your face.
- Coppertone Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50. Safe and easy on your skin, this product is hypoallergenic, fragrance free and budget-friendly.
- Vanicream Sunscreen Sensitive Skin, SPF 30. Dermatologist recommended, non-comedogenic and highly effective, Vanicream's products are well known for providing powerful protection from the sun that won't harm your sensitive skin.
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Sensitive Skin, SPF 30+. Paraben free, fragrance free and chemical free, this safe and gentle sunscreen is dermatologist recommended and provides broad spectrum protection.
- Badger All Natural Sunscreen Unscented, SPF 30. Eco friendly, all natural, unscented and water resistant, this product is safe for your sensitive skin, and your kids.
- Smart Stuff Mineral Based Sunscreen, SPF 30. This sunscreen is natural and safe for the entire family, is water resistant and free of parabens, PABA, petroleum, gluten and pthalates.
- Kiss My Face Natural Sunscreen Sensitive Side 3 in 1. Made from completely natural ingredients including a unique oat protein formula to soothe and nourish your skin, this gentle sunscreen contains no chemicals, fragrances or dyes.
- TiZo Pure Mineral Protection, Ultra Sensitive Skin, SPF 35. This uniquely designed mineral formula was created to protect the most sensitive skin types with the #1 rated sunscreen filter.